View Navigation Blog

Can my ex take my retirement fund?

Your spouse could be entitled to part of your personal retirement plan if you get a divorce. However, you probably only have to divide the portion you learned while you were married. 

Furthermore, Minnesota courts would probably not require you to divide your assets completely in half. There are many things that go into asset division, among them being each of your respective contributions to the asset in question, the portion that is marital property and several other factors.

In fact, after you determine what portion of your retirement accounts goes to each of you, then dividing the funds per your agreement is significantly less complicated. However, there is some paperwork you may have to complete and you may have to involve third parties, such as attorneys and asset managers, to ensure the transfer completes smoothly and you do not incur any undue tax burden.

The exact type of your retirement accounts also will play a role and how you divide the assets after you reach your decision. As per the IRS page, 401 (k) plans would probably require a qualified domestic relations order directing your fund manager to distribute the money to avoid early-withdrawal fees and taxes. IRAs and other accounts may not have the same requirement, but you would still want to transfer the funds correctly and at the right time to avoid a tax penalty.

One of the most complex processes you would encounter in a Minnesota divorce is likely to be asset division. Please do not act on this general information. Legal advice should be specific to your unique case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Start By Setting Up A Consultation We Are Ready To Listen

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Firm, P.A.

600 Inwood Avenue North Suite 200
Saint Paul, MN 55128

Phone: 651-315-8002
Fax: 651-731-2307
Saint Paul Law Office Map